What is a Sinus Lift?
A Sinus Lift (also known as Sinus Augmentation), is surgery that makes it easier to place Dental Implants. It is required when you don’t have enough bone support necessary for implants because of bone loss. A Sinus Lift helps as it increases the amount of bone in the jaw by adding space between the molars and premolars. To make room for the bone, the sinus membrane is moved upward or ‘lifted’. Hence the name, Sinus Lift.
Sinus Lifts are required when there is not enough bone height in the upper jaw or the sinuses are too close to the jaw.
There are a number of factors that can contribute to bone loss. Some are:
● Periodontal gum disease
● Loss of teeth in the upper jaw
● Reabsorption of bone into the body after tooth loss
The surgeon will determine where they will get the extra bone from. Three common
types of bone used in Sinus Lifts are:
● Allogenic bone – bone from a cadaver
● Autogenous bone – bone from your own body
● Xenograft – bone from a cow
You will receive in depth information about your Sinus Lift at your consultation
appointment with the Surgeon. Here are the stages of a Sinus Lift simplified:
1. The Surgeon cuts the gum tissue and raises it, this exposes the bone
2. A small circular cut is made into the bone
3. This bony piece is lifted into the sinus cavity space
4. The hole is filled with a bone graft
5. The incision is closed
6. The healing process starts
No, the procedure is done under local anaesthetic. The Surgeon will check that you are fully numb before starting the procedure.
Prices for Sinus Lifts start at 20,000 THB
Speak to one of our SmileExperts today about Sinus Lifts